1. Find 9 8-12
inch rushes, swizzle sticks or drinking straws
and 4 small
to medium sized rubber
2. Hold one of the rushes/straws vertically.
3. Fold a second straw in half horizontally over and at a right angle over
the center of to the
first straw with the second straw projecting to the right.
Snug the inside of the bend right up to the first straw
at its center.
4. Grasp the center overlap tightly between thumb and fore-finger.
5. Turn the two straws held together 90 degrees counter clockwise (left)
(the two ends of the second straw will be
6. Fold the third straw in half over both parts of the second straw horizontally
from left to right and snug
the inside of the fold up against the center
and the second straw. Hold tight.
7. Holding the center tightly! Rotate all straws (the entire assembly) 90
degrees counter clockwise. (left)
8. This time the bottom half of the first straw will be projecting upward.
Fold a new straw in half over and
across all straws projecting upward.
9. Snug the straw tightly against the center and against the vertical straws.
10. Holding the center tightly rotate all straws (the entire assembly) 90 degrees
11. Fold a new straw in half over all vertical straws from left to right and
snug up to center and to the right.
12. Repeat the process of rotating all straws (the entire assembly) 90 degrees
to the left and folding the
new straw over until all straws have been used.
tight to the center.
13. When the last straw has been used snug all straws to center being
careful to hold tight to the last
14. Secure the last arm of the cross with a rubber band or if using rushes plaited straw or string. Then secure each other arm.
15. You may paint the drinking straws but be careful as wet paint will dissolve the thin paper covering. Place rushes on a flat surface to dry. You may
wish to seal the rushes when
dry with a paint of your choice.