We love front yard shrines of every type, no matter how elaborate or simple they are. And sometimes, we love the simplest ones best.
We have lots of shrines in our garden. Here is one for Saint Joseph who holds the Infant Jesus. He presides over our herb garden. Although his back is to our outdoor dining table, he is always present as the patron of our home, the saint who ensures that the work of our hands provides the food that we eat.
In the side flower bed, there is an old marble pedestal with a Cross motif that once held a simple white concrete Blessed Mother. She is now in the front yard of the organist I once worked with. A gift when she bought her grandmother’s house.
In the backyard tucked under the rose bushes is the small, original white painted concrete Virgin that we purchased when we first bought our home. One thumb is broken off, and so we got her inexpensively. She was all we could afford after the purchase of the home. She once graced a pine tree stump with a little step for a votive candle in the front of the yard but that is gone now.
In another bed of struggling roses is yet another Virgin in her Shrine, and tucked away in a corner is an Infant of Prague I found in a yard sale who is terribly in need of repair.
At the moment, I have my eye on a 5′ tall Our Lady of Grace … if only I can figure out how to move her. Never mind where to put her!
Yes, we probably have too many front and back yard shrines. But … we love them! And so, it seems, do the people who pass by our house and pause a moment to bless themselves.
We hope you enjoy our gallery of shrines.
Keep scrolling down to see them!
All materials on this page copyrighted by Catholic Home and Garden.
All rights reserved.
As you look through this collection, we hope you’ll draw inspiration and an understanding of how very much Catholics love our Mother Mary.
You’ll see beautifully designed gardens with classic layouts, broken Virgins that are too well loved to part with, an aged and cracked Virgin Mother so well loved that the owner has knit a little shawl to keep her warm in winter.
There are some classic bathtub Virgins, using an actual bathtub, and one that features an old refrigerator. Some have lights. Some have shells and even swans! But one thing is clear … Catholics honor the Blessed Mother.
Do we have a favorite? We love them all. The one that makes us smile the most is this one. A picnic with the Holy Family. Saint Therese, who was always offering little sacrifices, seems to have stayed away from the table.
Speaking of photos that make you smile, in case you haven’t already seen the now famous newspaper clipping of a baby talking to a garden statue of the Blessed Mother … here it is. Click to enlarge.
Take the message of this little child to heart. Teach little ones to love the Virgin Mary early in life and they will love her for eternity.
We hope you enjoy these photos and encourage you to share yours with us. Click on the images to enlarge.
My very good friend Emma Grace, who loves to pick flowers from the butterfly bush in our Mary garden.
- This solar powered garden light charges during day (ensure the switch is in “ON” position) and turn on automatically at night for up to 6 hours when full charged.
- Design with Warm White LED.The reflection of the pattern is beautiful enough to create a romantic atmosphere.
- 【2022 UPGRADED VERSION】Upgraded solar panel with larger capacity & battery, increase the solar charging efficiency by 35%, provides longer working time up to 18 hours
- 【BEAUTIFUL GARDEN DECORATION】2 packs of garden lights promote the desire ambiance of any occasions, whether it is for a party event or just the finishing touch on your outdoor masterpiece
- Key holder that looks just like, well a rock
- Ingenious way to hide key 'in plain sight' so you or family members are never locked out again
- MOST UNIQUE FIRE PIT: Solo Stove Bonfire pushes the limits of both combustion airflow efficiency and minimalist outdoor design with its all stainless steel construction. It was brilliantly engineered to provide a backyard fire experience that cannot be duplicated. Our patent pending design sold over $1.1M sold on kickstarter.
- SECONDARY COMBUSTION: The camping stove has double wall design maximizes airflow and burning process. Bottom vent holes allow oxygen to the feed the fire from below while simultaneously channeling warm oxygen up between the walls of the stove and back into the fire.
- 12 Games in 1
- 17" Color LCD Screen; 2 Clear Deck Protectors; Clear Protective Top Surface
- ⛪Includes:3 Japanese Lantern,10 Stepping Stone
- ⛪Add some zen to garden, yard, patio, lawn or home, make people feel peaceful and serene.
- Reliable Quality: Made of Plastic: Ball white, skewer in silver, 1x ball diameter 10 cm, holder 2x14 cm
- Solar Powered & Energy: led pathway lights is equipped with solar panels and light sensors. Just click the button next to it and place it in the sun. During the day (sunny day), the sun will automatically charge it. After full charge (about 8 hours in the sun), the lamp glows in the atmosphere for 6-8 hours
- EASY INSTALL: Installs without digging holes, pouring concrete, or tearing up your yard; use a sledgehammer or post pounder to install the no-dig pipe anchor
- WHAT'S INCLUDED: Each unit includes 1 fence panel, 1 post, 1 no-dig pipe anchor and (1) cap; this product is designed to scale, so you will need to order a finishing post to complete your fence project (item ZP19003)
- DIMENSIONS: This fence panel measures 30"H x 42"W
- CHARMING AESTHETIC: Swooped style pickets offer decorative look to add aesthetic appeal to any yard or garden
- 【Exquisite Decoration】The elegant wishing well will be the most eye-catching decoration for your courtyard. Perfect product details seem to make fairy tale scenes appear in real life.
- 【High-quality Material Selected】Constructed of solid Fir wood, which known for its strength and dimensional stability. Carbonization treatment create a rustic appearance. It's long-last use and suitable for inside or outside.
- ★Material★ - Photoluminescent pigment + resin. About 20×30×11mm each. 100PCS pack.
- ★Easily Charge★ - No electricity required. Put them under sunlight or lamplight to charge for an hour them they will glow for hours.
- Creative Garden LED Lights：Outdoor solar lantern has a unique and decorative design, can be hung on the porch, tree, or pergola with a hanging ring, or placed on the table or ledge to display a vivid and pretty retro hollow pattern, add a warm and pleasant ambience to your yard and deck.Copper wire LED lights can be easily bent and shaped into any shape you like. Choose a special spot in your garden or yard to hang the watering can with lights that appear to be pouring water.
- Automatic operation：When using the solar kettle light for the first time, turn on the switch and place it under direct sunlight. During the day, this solar light will automatically absorb the energy from the sun for about 5-8 hours, and at night, the solar garden light will automatically light up for about 8-10 hours.
- Showcase flowers & plants and create sensational seasonal displays with our Amish Country Wagon
- Crafted from wood with rolling iron wheels
- 【100% Handmade】This tequila plant will brighten up any space you place it in. This particular Agaves has no base to give it a look as if its growing from out of the ground.These are all handmade, so each plant will be slightly different.（2pcs is a set of 12 inches and 16 inches respectively）
- 【Indoor & Outdoor Use】These one of Indoor&Outdoor Use a kind head turning agaves.will demand attention in any grade or home space placed. This particular Agave has no base to give it a look as if its growing from out of the ground. Perfect as a garden statue, but also as garden party supplies or a great birthday/holiday present to your friends and family.
- DIMENSIONS: Each unit is 36in high x 42in wide and includes 2 unassembled fence panels with posts for a total of 84in of fence
- SEMI-PERMANENT FENCE: This fence can be reinstalled and removed as necessary